Thursday, March 29, 2012

My Favorite Homesteading Websites


            I know it seems odd that I would be writing a blog that sends you to other blogs, but bear in mind that I have never intended to be all inclusive here. I’m small potatoes. I talk about baby steps to living a free lifestyle. I love sharing the websites I visit often with people. I have a few listed and a few honorable mentions, as well.

Mother Earth News The original homesteaders guide. I am a huge fan, getting their magazine and buying their How-To books as often as possible. Everything you could ever want to know about Homesteading and gardening in one site. Be warned, the site is slow at times. My guess is it is due to the tremendous wealth of information available. If you have any questions about gardening or the homesteading lifestyle, they are the place to be. You would love their CD-Rom collection that includes 40 years of their magazine (given to me for Christmas by my wonderful bride). I also pointed out in an earlier blog how great their Vegetable Gardening Planner is.

BackwoodsHome.com This magazine and website has been around for some time. The website is decidedly commercial in nature, but the articles are solid. I don’t have a problem with all the ads since you can’t do all that work for free. The articles are a little more geared towards survival, but that goes hand in hand with homesteading.

Honorable Mentions
UrbanHomesteading.org I first became aware of this family (and they are a family) a year or so ago on Facebook. They purport to grow “6,000 pounds of food on 1/10 acre.” From their pics, I don’t doubt it. There is not a ton of information, but what is there is pure gold. If you have ever said “I don’t have room to garden” you need to read their website. Be warned, there are some in the urban homesteading community that do not like the family because they had the audacity to trademark the term “Urban Homesteading,” but you can’t argue with their results.

WaldenEffect.org Anna and Mark have a great website devoted to homesteading. They operate a small homestead and gives very good tips on small scale animal raising and gardening. They also have a monthly magazine available on Kindle.

No comments:

Post a Comment